This Scale is presented as an aid to understanding the concepts of the Internal Family Systems model, rather than as a tool of assessment.
This scale focuses on the dimension of Self (alpha = .97). The correlation between this longer IFS SELF SCALE and the shorter Self subscale of the IFS SCALE is .98, so they are virtually interchangeable.
A factor analysis suggested that the dimension of Self is comprised of two factors, which we interpreted as Self-Qualities (the subjective experience of being in Self) and Self-Leadership (the ability to stay in Self in the midst of challenging situations). The IFS SELF SCALE reflects both factors.
1) I feel energetic and joyful. *
2) I know who I am and what I want from life. *
3) I feel a sense of inner peace. *
4) I feel confident that I’ll reach my goals. *
5) I feel happy and playful. *
6) I feel hopeful and optimistic. *
7) I feel capable and strong. *
8) I accept and like myself, just as I am. *
9) I feel a deep sense of confidence in myself. *
10) I feel content with my life, just as it is. *
11) I feel balanced and calm. *
12) I feel worthy and valuable. *
13) I feel I can choose the life I want. *
14) I feel that there are many people who care about me. *
15) I feel deeply committed to life. *
16) I feel able to comfort myself when something bad happens. **
17) I feel able to take care of myself. **
18) I can manage okay in the midst of chaos. **
19) I can maintain my inner calm even under pressure. **
20) I feel able to face the bad things I’ve done. **
21) I feel like I have good self-control. **
22) When something upsets me, I can calm myself down in healthy ways. **
23) I’m able to resolve inner conflicts fairly quickly. **
24) I feel confident that I can handle whatever life brings me. ***
25) I feel able to meet life’s challenges with courage. ***
*Indicates items that load on the Self-Qualities factor.
** Indicates items that load on the Self-Leadership factor.
*** Indicates items that load almost equally on both factors.
a = .97; item-to-total correlations: .58 to .86
This scale discriminated between high- and low-trauma groups, t(825) = 14.2, p < .0005, Levene F = 81.56, p < .0005